With Thanksgiving behind us, you’re probably starting to think about holiday gift ideas. Still trying to decide what to get your kids this year for the holidays? “Active gifts” are a great way to surprise your kids for the holiday while also keeping them moving and healthy. Here are some ideas to get you started!
Did your child ask for toys this year? Here are a few great toys and games that also promote active play!
- Do your kids like video games? Check out games like Dance Dance Revolution for PlayStation and Just Dance for Wii.
- If board games are more your family’s style, check out Cranium Hullabaloo, a game that requires players to dance and act things out. Or try Twister Moves, a dance version of the original Twister game.
- For some low-cost ways to keep your kids active, buy them some of the classics like jump ropes, hula-hoops, or footballs.
If you’re looking for something to keep them active outside of the house, passes to local community centers, gyms, and other resources are a great option.
- Give your kids the gift of active fun with your local YMCA or Boys and Girls Club. The Kroc Center in Boston is waiving its sign-up fee this week for new members, so check them out too!
- If you’re looking for great ideas for getting your kids outdoors, consider surprising them with passes to the local area skating rinks like Frog Pond or Kelly Outdoor Rink!
- Not sure what to get your kids? Give them a certificate to spend the day together doing their activity of choice.
No matter how your family celebrates the holidays this year, it’s important to stay active—even in the cold weather. Check out this earlier post about staying active in the cold for more ideas.
Tell us about your active gift ideas in the comments section!