For parents, one shared priority is keeping children safe from harm—and often, this means avoiding unintentional injuries. Small injuries like scratches, bumps, and bruises are an inevitable part of a child’s life—in fact, these are often welcome signs of curiosity, adventure, and physical activity. But there are things that parents can do to prevent small injuries from becoming bigger, more dangerous ones.
When it comes to keeping children safe, there are the more common things that parents do—like ensuring kids wear their seatbelt, babyproofing homes, and helping children cross the street safely. But there are also a lot of indirect ways to increase child safety, especially in your home, during play or sports, and on the road!
To help share important health and safety issues (and more), join Boston Children’s at Martha Eliot Health Center in Jamaica Plain on Saturday, May 21st for its annual free Health and Safety Fair. From 12pm to 3pm (rain or shine), you and your kids can learn from health and safety experts while enjoying live music, games, raffles, and more. Check out the flyer for more information.
But for now, we’ve compiled the list below to get you started:
In Your Home
- Install and test smoke alarms
- Store medicine, cleaning supplies, and other dangerous materials in locked cabinets or in hard-to-reach places
- Turn pot and pan handles so that they hang inward over the stove
- Avoid leaving coffee, tea, or microwavable/instant food on counters and don’t leave tables unattended
Play and Sports
- Make sure kids are wearing proper, well-fitted gear and protective wear
- Provide plenty of water for kids while they’re playing outdoors, especially if it’s hot
- Share your emergency contact information with coaches, teachers, or anyone in a supervisory role
On the Road
- Don’t take phone calls or text while driving
- Ensure child seats are properly installed
- Be aware of speed limits
We hope to see you on Saturday at the Health & Safety Fair!
Martha Eliot Health Center
75 Bickford Street, Jamaica Plain, 02130