With the cold weather and early nights, it’s tempting to curl up on your couch under a pile of blankets. But it’s important to get some exercise in during the winter days! Regular exercise can boost your energy and help improve your mood. Try these simple tricks to get moving:
- Indoor sports and swimming pool – If you have access to an indoor basketball court or soccer field (think, local schools or recreation centers), take the family out for an impromptu ball game. This will get all that excess energy out of restless kids – and adults!
- Take the stairs – Remember, every action counts. Instead of using the elevator, opt for the stairs. This will get you warmed up and ready for the day.
- Enjoy snow day activities – Join the kids in snowball fights and sledding for some active family bonding! Shoveling driveways and sidewalks also helps to burn of calories.
- Rent a fitness DVD – Grab a fitness DVD from your local library. With options from Zumba to yoga to cardio, there’s a type of exercise for everyone!
- Sign up at the YMCA or a health club – Going to the gym is still a great option overall. Gyms are heated and brightly lit – providing a good motivating environment. Check out low-cost alternatives such as local recreation centers, YMCA branches, or discounts at nearby gym.