Spring weather has arrived and summer is right around the corner! More hours of sunlight means more time to play outside together- what a great way to stay fit and have fun as a family!
Keep these safety tips in mind this summer when your family heads to the playground, the park or even your own backyard.
- Ease into the heat. If your body’s not used to the heat, ease into outdoor activity with 10-15 minute intervals, then lengthen time outside by 5 minutes a day. This lets your body get used to warm temperatures and prevents heat stroke.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water when exercising in warm weather. If your family is spending more than an hour in the heat, you may want to grab a sports drink to replace lost electrolytes through sweat.
- Wear sunscreen. Sunburns are not only painful, they can also cause skin damage and cancers. Make sure to protect your family by covering any exposed skin with water-resistant UVA/UVB sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher and reapply throughout the day. Hats, sunglasses and long-sleeves can help, too.
- Dress for success. What kids wear to play may not seem important, but loose strings or hoods can catch on playground equipment and cause injury. Dress kids in proper shoes, light colors and hats to keep them cool and prevent falls.
- Keep an eye out. Playgrounds and parks provide great spaces for kids to explore, but make sure you keep them in sight in case they have an accident. Visit playgrounds built on soft surfaces like rubber, bark chips or sand when possible.
- Be street smart. Make sure your child knows and follows traffic rules when on a bike or playing near a crosswalk. Review bike safety tips we posted earlier this month and set a good example for your kids!
Now that you know how to stay safe, get outside and enjoy the warm weather with your family! Have any tips to share? Tell us about them in the comments below.