- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (8-serving size) sugar-free cherry gelatin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks in juice, not drained
- 1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges in juice, drained
- 16 large ice cubes
1. Pour boiling water into a large bowl. Add the gelatin and cinnamon to boiling water. Stir for at least 2 minutes until gelatin is completely dissolved.
2. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Add enough ice (or cold water) to the juice to measure 11⁄2 cups. Add the gelatin mixture and stir until the ice is completely melted.
3. Refrigerate for about 45 minutes or until the gelatin is slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg white).
4. Reserve 1⁄4 cup each of the pineapple and orange. Add remaining pineapple and oranges to gelatin. Pour into 11⁄2-quart serving bowl.
5. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm. Garnish with the reserved pineapple and oranges.
Yield: 12 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup
Nutrition Information per serving:
Recipe courtesy of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
Image courtesy of Leenee’s Sweetest Delights.