- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 crushed garlic cloves (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounce) drained and chopped tomatoes
- 1 pinch ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk (NDM) + 2 cups water (or substitute 2 cups nonfat milk for the reconstituted NDM)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, cook onion in oil over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add chopped tomatoes.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Spoon 3/4 of mixture into food processor or blender container; puree until smooth. Return to saucepan.
- Add red pepper, basil, and reconstitute NDM to the soup. Heat until hot but do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Yields: 4 cups
Serving Size: 1 cup
Nutritional analysis per serving (based on sugar substitute):
4 g Fat
0 mg Cholestoral
210 mg Sodium
18 g Total Carbohydrate
6 g Protein
Image courtesy of Harmony Coop.