There’s nothing like the smell and taste of pancakes in the morning. With this recipe, you and your kids can whip up a batch of healthy, delicious blueberry banana pancakes to enjoy!
Total time: Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 5 minute/batch
Makes: 7 servings (or 14 pancakes)
Good for: Breakfast
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk (or dairy-free milk)
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, milk, bananas and vanilla; lightly stir into dry ingredients just until moist. Don’t over-mix!
- Pour batter using 1/4 cup scoop onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with blueberries. If using frozen blueberries, place frozen berries directly on top – no need to thaw.
- Flip pancakes when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with syrup if desired.
If you and your kids can’t finish the pancakes, don’t fret! These pancakes freeze well. Layer cooled pancakes between waxed or parchment paper in a re-sealable plastic freezer bag and store them in the freezer. When you want to eat them again, place them on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil, and reheat in an oven preheated at 375° for 6-10 minutes. Or, microwave three pancakes at a time on high for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 minutes or until heated through.
Serving size: 2 pancakes (without syrup)
195 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Photo courtesy of Taste of Home